>>>>

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Show & Share from Shoreline, WA!

20180509_212340
I’m thinking about where I was a week ago today – spending my last workshop with the Quilters Anonymous gals in Shoreline, Washington outside of Seattle!

Oh, the quilts that came out to play during my quick stay with these ladies – they knocked my socks off!

This is Dianna and her beautiful En Provence quilt!  She altered the colors to use her own stash, and her result is stunning.

Can you see the little inset border of squares in pink?  SUCH a great touch!

Often times it is the border that brings the whole thing together, as in this case – another En Provence:

20180509_212240

Check out the piano keys in purple!

Oh, ladies – you’ve done me proud!

20180509_123033

This Perkiomen Daydreams from Scraps & Shirttails stole the show!

10,000 1’’ squares – but strip pieced and so fun to make!

20180510_201158

A traditional rail fence Leader & Ender challenge finish -

Just LOVE the colors!

There are many more in the slide show – Click to play:


At the end of the video, you'll notice a New York Beauty Variation - that is the guild's donation quilt this year and it was spectacular!

One of the motions that came up during the guild business meeting was the suggestion that the donation quilt idea be dropped  (because it is so much work) and that other fundraisers be considered – perhaps each member can just make a monetary donation to the guild without asking anyone to buy tickets for the quilt (because the person considered that to be gambling and doesn’t believe in gambling) and no one would have to waste their time sitting at public events babysitting the quilt, etc.…

It was a very interesting conversation to be on the outside of.

I have always considered these as “Opportunity” quilts…and the opportunity is more than just the possibility of winning the quilt.

It’s an opportunity to learn skills, instead of just write a check.  It’s an opportunity to work with other guild members, building relationships instead of stay in the comfort of my own home after writing a check.

It’s an opportunity to share the love of quilting around my area, educating and promoting what the guild offers to those who might not even know the guild exists.

I have no idea how the outcome of this motion to the board will come out.  But I think that “Just everyone make a monetary donation to the guild and we won’t have to do all this work” overlooks the fact that there is more reward from the opportunity quilt than just money alone.

Does your guild have this same issue?  How are you handling it with your members?

I have no weigh in either way, it was just a very interesting discussion brought up during one of the many meetings I have sat through in the month of May – and I’m heading off to New Hampshire this morning to listen to another one.  


20180516_105213

This happened yesterday at Quiltville Inn:

Tuesday's antique mall find pedestal table in the entry, with the beautiful hand crocheted hexie shaped tablecloth on top!  I envision a vase of some sort with a silk plant in it on top, but I just think this is so perfect.

It would also have made a funny video - I backed the van up to the back porch, the bumper on the van nearly even with the height of the porch, slid the table out and rolled it on its rim all the way around the porch to the front door where it came to rest easily inside the front foyer.

The grandmother clock is one that I had at home....it's battery operated, but the clock mechanism died (exploding battery acid!) and I need to get a new one to replace it.  I think it looks cute here.  Would be cuter if I could tell time by it.

20180516_110224

There must be quilts!

A house is not a home without quilts -

And banisters are meant for adorning!

This is the front stairwell.

The house was originally built in 1884, and these quilts are of the same era.

20180516_111252

The back stairwell needed a bit more color!

Sampler quilt, made by me!

20180516_105503

There is a touch of color happening in the kitchen!

I brought a set of Pyrex bowls over from the cabin.

I also found that cute little fat bellied gravy boat while out antiquing.  I'm all about the shape of things - it's the first thing that captures me - the shape.

20180516_105132

There are a couple of rugs on the kitchen floor!

I decided to play up the grey of the counters with the white of the cabinets.

I'll bring in a touch of red and yellow as accents-

20180516_105057

This says it all!

I love stitcheries with fun sayings.

This one went right on an existing nail - no hammer needed!

It was a long and rainy ride home - check this out:


The thunder didn't start until AFTER I shot this video, and poor Sadie.  Shaking to beat the band. (And no, Thunder shirts don't work.)

And that brings me to now.  I'm at the airport waiting to board my flight as I post this - the struggle of checking luggage, of getting the car to long term parking already dealt with by 5:30 am.  It's going to be a long day - Greensboro to Detroit to Manchester, New Hampshire, and a presentation this evening for the Amoskeag Quilters!

Bring it on, my new busy bag project is ready for Sew on the Go!

IMG_20180517_041803_161000_wm

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Rail Fence Leader & Ender Quilt shared during our Shoreline workshops.


Always remember and never forget -

You are AMAZING just as you are!

Have a wonderful Thursday, friends!



18 comments:

  1. Your dream is coming to life! Sew much fun to share it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new fan! You and I are a lot alike. I will get to meet you in June when you come to our Lee's Summit Quilt Guild. I'm taking you antiquing if you'd like! Your blog is nurturing me right now as I struggle with daily demands and time frames. Thank you, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had known you were coming to Manchester, NH. So close, I would have loved to be there. I will continue to follow your travels and adventures online. The Quiltville Inn is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beautiful "home" is going to be FULL of laughter and friendship for many years. Those floors just bring everything to life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you have done with Quiltville Inn is amazing! I can’t wait to see how this all comes together. Safe travels to New Hampshire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your foyer! Quiltville Inn is look so like a home. The dishes in cabinet and the rugs are just lovely. Oh boy oh boy! Can't wait.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need a big pot of aspidistra in a beautiful ceramic pot for your foyer at the Inn. I wish I could visit one day but I am DownUnder & will never get there. I can enjoy your journey though. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the table! I miss New Hampshire. I was stationed at New Boston Tracking Station from '79-'81. I was in the USAF. The station is SW of Manchester. Spring and summer best. I lived in Milford. To the west of town on route 101 was a thrift store. I shipped there all the time. It had a huge teepee out front. I still some furniture that I bought there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting comments re: opportunity quilts. We used to do them for our guild, and then someone got the notion that all the money raised had to go back into outreach, not for speakers, etc. At that point we were getting donations ourselves from a Lions club for our outreach, so we said skip it. Now we do small craft shows and that has sustained us quite nicely. We get together as a group and make things, or make kits to give out to the members to make and return at their leisure. So we still get the benefit of learning new skills and socializing, but avoid the "babysitting" of the big quilt.
    You are making some great progress on your retreat house! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The main problem with raffle quilts is selling tickets..most don't want to and most people are not carrying cash these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much fun seeing Ouiltville Inn slowly come to life. Feel like I'm apart of it just watching. Also, I so enjoy your positive attitude and messages at the end of each post. Look forward to reading each post. Patty Mc

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that light fixture above the front stairs. It has so much character!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure it was an interesting discussion. When I see an Opportunity Quilt at a show, I usually buy a ticket, not because I think I'm going to win, but because it's an opportunity to donate to a cause. The same reason I buy Girl Scout cookies--I often see if the kids have a plan to bring cookies to a homeless shelter or elderly day care or someplace like that. So, to me, it's not really gambling because it's not about turning $1 into a quilt, it's about adding my dollar to everyone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have those same pyrex bowls! I bought them new years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love love love the entry way table, etc. It's all looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie,
    I love watching you fill your new Quiltville Inn full of love and happiness! Can’t wait to come and be part of it!!
    Betsy D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great adventure! It is going to be awesome! Although, I can’t imagine where you are going to find the time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute Grandmother Clock. I didn't know that there was such a thing. Fun additions to the Inn! Re: the Opportunity Quilt. We do ours every other year. The past 2 years I didn't get to add my blocks to it. The ladies making it didn't share that part with the whole quild. We each are asked to sell 20 tickets.
    Have fun in New Hampshire, hope the storms bypass you.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)